Thursday, October 8, 2009

The things we do for our kids

$52.50. That is what the team swimsuit for my younger daughter's swim team is going to cost us. That was not in the budget, and her first meet is in the beginning of November. Oh, and I cannot forget $10 for the swimcap.

It doesn't matter what sport your kid is in anymore, they all cost a fortune. My kid swims for the YMCA swim team so I am considering myself lucky that I am getting off cheaper than I could be.

So why allow sports? Well, I believe they are vital. My kids are homeschooled. They need the exercise. They need the chance to socialize with other kids. They need the opportunity to be under another adult in charge. They need something to have pride in.

Why have kids if you are not going to provide them with opportunities? They are probably not going to get a ton of monetary help from us for college. The least I can do is allow them to grow into confident, well rounded individuals who have the ability to make their own way in this world.

If that takes moving the budget around here and there, so be it.

1 comment:

  1. I am completely, 100% with you. All the way down to the fact that I'm probably not going to be able to help with college very much.

    I'm hoping if I get them into extracurricular activities, then that will be something toward helping them to win scholarships.

    ReplyDelete